A lot of people are trying to cut back calories and lose some weight, but no one wants to put some effort into it. Probably the hardest part of any diet is constantly having to plan, buy the ingredients, and prepare healthy meals. Most people just don’t have the time nor the patience to do that on a regular basis.
However, there is a convenient and just as effective way to lose weight and it comes in the form of meal replacement shakes. You have probably already noticed the increasing range of meal replacement shakes online or at the healthy food aisle in your local supermarket or chemist, but not all of them are equal in terms of quality which is why it is vital to do a little research before incorporating them into your diet.
Meal replacement may come in various forms such as drinks, bars, super-foods, protein powder, and the popular shakes. The way meal replacements work is by reducing your calorie intake with portion-controlled and nutritionally-balanced “meals”. It is important to have in mind that meal replacement shakes cannot completely replace traditional food and regular exercise, but they can, however, replace up two meals per day.
Most quality meal replacement products are made with skim milk powder, they are high in protein and fibre in order to keep you satiated, they are very low in fat, and have a significant energy content of around 900 kJ per serve.
Although meal replacement shakes are usually not nutritionally complete, most of them require you to eat other foods throughout the day, such as fruits,vegetables, nuts, and at least two liters of water per day, in order to prevent issues such as dehydration or constipation.
The main reasons why more and more people decide to try the meal replacement shakes into their daily diet are the following:
- Meal replacements help you limit the amount of energy you consume and avoid overeating and going for seconds.
- They are designed to make you feel satisfied. You will feel hungrier than if you had eaten a proper meal, but much less than not eating at all. This is because meal replacements are rich in protein and fiber which help your body feel full.
- Convenience is probably the most common reason why people choose meal replacements. You can drink your shakes on the go throughout the whole day, whenever you find it convenient for you.
- With the large variety of shakes available on the market you can find the right flavor for you and you can mix it up with fruits and vegetables to get a tasty and varied experience every day.
- And finally, you avoid constantly planning your meals, buying all the ingredients and preparing them. Meal replacement shakes make all that much easier.