Dog collar or harness, what to choose? Although these two items are made from the same materials and have the same purpose of use, for most dog owners is difficult to find the answer to this question. It is important to choose wisely because not every accessory works best for every type of dog. We know that your furry friend is like a member of your family, but truth be told, you are not buying a car, so there’s no reason to feel anxious about this matter.
What you need to do is to learn about the basic advantages and disadvantages of each item specifically. And before you do that what you need to take into account is:
- The race and breed of your dog;
- The size and weight of your dog;
- Your dog’s health condition.
When to Choose a Dog Collar?
Apart from displaying the identification tag of your dog, a collar is a good option for off-leash activities. If your dog is not aggressive and doesn’t pull hard when walking, there’s no need to ‘wrap’ it in a harness, unless your furry friend has some respiratory or trachea issues.
Reasons to Choose a Dog Collar
- High Level of Comfort – When it comes to comfort during a walk or when training your dog, less is more. Given this, a collar allows you to control your dog without any particular effort and extra “clothing”.
- Easy to Attach – It is much easier to attach a dog collar to a leash rather than to put on a harness. This makes this accessory perfect for everyday usage.
- Identification – Holding your dog’s identification tag is the primary function of a collar.
When to Choose a Dog Harness?
This is the best accessory for dogs that are easily distracted and difficult to control. Due to the reason that a harness embraces dog’s whole body, it makes it easier to control a disobedient dog without causing chocking, gagging or coughing.
Reasons to Choose a Harness
- Control – No matter how big or disobedient your dog is, a harness enables you fully control his moving. This is especially important when walking in area crowded with people.
- Lifting Assistance – This essential dog accessory enables you to handle every obstacle on the way by lifting your dog easily and safely.
- Safety – Respiratory problems, trachea injuries and neck troubles are the most common issues associated with the use of a dog collar. With a harness these problems are not a matter of concern.